Winter is well underway and with the cold weather and constant exposure to heaters Colds, Flus, viruses and other infectious illnesses seem to occur more widely and regularly. Not only does this effect our ability to go to work and possibly miss out on a day’s (or a few) pay, It can make the colder months even more miserable! As if grey skies, rain and icy wind wasn’t depressing enough (seriously WHERE is summer?!)
Here a few tips for keeping healthy this cold season, that you may also find handy for staying well all year round too!
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Throw tissues in the bin after you use them.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water OR use sanitizer – especially after you cough or sneeze.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth as germs spread this way.
- Try to avoid close contact with people who have a flu-like illness.
- Taking immune boosting vitamins or a daily multivitamin can help minimize chances of contracting illnesses and speed up your recovery time.
- Get active! On the rare days the sun IS out go for a brisk walk. Soak up the Vitamin D and get your blood pumping.
- Watch your diet – Cold weather can increase those comfort food cravings, make sure you are getting plenty of fruits and vegetables too.
- Immunisation: If you suffer from chronic illness or conditions like asthma it might be a good idea to get a flu shot once a year.
If you have any tips for staying healthy and happy (not just in winter) even old wives tales or family remedies, we would LOVE to hear them & possibly feature them on our social media and in our newsletter! Send them through to email@example.com